T.C. Sağlık Bakanlığı
İstanbul Sultan Abdülhamid Han
Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi

History


The Haydarpaşa Military Hospital, which is named after the municipality where it is named, is located in Üsküdar, in the middle of the Windmill section of Karacaahmet-Selimiye-Kadıköy, in the middle of Seydiahmet and Kavak Dereler, on the one hand to İbrahimağa meadows, on the other hand to Kavak Kasrı and Marmara Sea, was made on a large piece of land.

This construction was initiated in 1260/1844 by Hacı Hüseyin Pasha, retired from the cavalry militia, on the will of Sultan Abdülmecid for the construction of a hospital near the Selimiye mosque for Hassa Soldier. In 1845, this work was completed with a one year study and the patient was accepted in 1846 .

The hospital, which carries out health services according to the needs of the day, was allocated to the service of the sick and wounded during the Crimean wars of 1853-54.

Bevliye Branch Hospital was opened for the first time in 1862 by doctor Nafilyan Pasha in a separate branch.

In 1863 the hospital expanded several hundred acres.

In the period following the Crimean War, the hospital continued its normal work, and was busy with the health services of the Anatolian side of the Bosphorus, especially the Selimiye Barracks associations and members of the Army in the vicinity.

According to the "Umur-u Sıhhiye Nizamname" of the hospital in 1286-1870, Medicine became the "Mahraç Hospital" and it was accepted as the internship place of the school graduates. This process has been regarded as a start-up in Army medicine and a kind of specialist in physicians. The young physicians who received the diploma of "Mekteb-i Tıbbiyye-i Şahane" received a two-year internship training in the Haydarpaşa Hospital with the captain's rank and the title of "Muavin Medusa".

Major Bahattin Bey, the doctor who specialized in Haydarpasa Hospital's first eye specialist in Paris. The first eye service was opened in 1871 with this appointment.

Diplomas were awarded to those who finished their internships in 1872, and at the end of the competition examination, 18 young physicians were sent to Vienna and Paris to be highly specialized.

In 1876, the number of hospitalized patients was 916, and the number of beds opened was over 1000.

In 1881 the army began training the pharmacist. In the year of 1881, the hospital, which can accommodate 500 beds, has 900 residents and 750 residents.

In 1883, Operator's Club Tevfik Vacit Bey made a special tool for the Sunnah, which was considered an important operation for those times, and received the Mecidiye Nişan for this success.

During the month of February 1886 in the month of February 1886, 458 patients were transferred to the MART month and 5095 of the 6918 patients were recovered within a year, 1827 were sent to air exchange, disabled and rotted and 156 died. The most common causes of death were tuberculosis, pneumonia, typhoid , Edema (suilkinye), Oriental fires were diagnosed. The mortality rate was not considered high under those current circumstances.

In 1897, in the Turkish-Greek war, the hospital ran all the staff.

The hospital's x-ray service was put into operation in 1907 by a doctor, Dr. Hasan Şükrü Bey, who specializes in Paris. The x-ray machine is powered by a special motor. In 1907 the hospital has 600 beds. There are 24 active, 69 retired physicians, 400 civil servants and personnel in his staff.

In 1912, the first modern Ear, Nose and Throat Branch was established in our hospital. In the Balkan battle, the hospital became the medical staff and supplies center of the army troops, ensuring the establishment of many sanitary areas and mobile hospitals.

During the continuation of the First World War, wards and sicknesses from Çanakkale and even Baghdad fronts filled the wards, the care of the patients became more difficult and more than 200 death cases a day were seen.

During the national struggle, the hospital tried to do its duty again. Colonel Sadik Nafiz Bey, chief physician, sent medical supplies and materials, especially microscopes, in small packages in Anatolia, many physicians have been helped to escape to Anatolia to participate in the National Struggle.

The hospital was transported to the Selimiye Kışlası at the end of 1933 due to repair. The heaters and some of the service facilities were completed and the hospital was reopened on 1 April 1940.

During the Second World War campaign, army units and personnel passing from Istanbul to Trakya became sanitary transit strains.

Injuries in the Korean wars, long-suffering and needy patients were sent to the Haydarpasa from Deniz Hastanesi.

The hospital that developed gradually over time acquired the name of "Gülhane Military Medicine Academy Haydarpaşa Education Hospital" on October 1, 1985, and got its new academic structure.

19.08.2016 17.00 Transferred to the Ministry of Health as of the date.